I am super excited to announce that our Diamond Family is growing.
And not in the traditional sense.
Bridie and Kaleigh are both expecting!!!!!
Such exciting news. Congratulations to Bridie, Mark, Kaleigh & Brian!!!
Why Shoveling Snow Is Killing Your Back
(Repost…oldie but goodie)
(Last session of the day having a lil shoveling fun!)
That storm that just dropped a foot of snow outside your window can look beautiful—unless you’re the one who has to shovel it. And while dread of clearing the front walkway is normal, getting hurt doing it is not. If you’re in pain afterward, chances are you’re doing something wrong.
*Check out this article in Men’s Health. Hmmm….interesting how it suggests things that we do all the time at CFD, isn’t it?!?
Athlete Spotlight on Erik Hansen
1. Name and “board name” (or what should your board name be)? What are your stats (optional)? Drago – I picked it because the character Drago from Rocky IV to me it embodies everything Cross Fit is about, yourself. After losing to Rocky in an epic fight in Moscow he yells at the Soviet cronies who were not pleased with the result – “I fight to win!” “For me!” “For me!”
2. Where did you grow up? Where do you live now? I grew up on Cape Cod in small town Brewster which has not changed much since I was a kid. I met my wife Jillian “Draga” Hansen at UMass Amherst and moved down here in 2005 to her hometown of Amityville after living in Boston for 5 years after college.
3. What do you do for a living? I am an Account Executive at Salesforce.com, if you ask my kids they just say “Daddy sells Apps”. What makes me most proud about my company/job is the philanthropic culture they push and support with their 1/1/1 model – we donate 1% of our Time (Each employee gets 6 paid days off a year to do something for charities or foundations to make world a better place), 1% of our Equity, and 1% of our Product to Non Profits.
4. When did you become part of the Diamond family and why did you join? I joined in Spring of 2013 (not sure exact date) but Jillian started going and said she thought I would really like it…and I did…plus she was the strongest person in the house so at that point (still debatable) so I had to do something about it. I joined to try something new and the regular gym workouts were not cutting it/challenging anymore and running all the time was getting boring so combining all sorts of exercise into an hour was just what I needed.
5. What was your athletic background before joining CFD? I was a three sport (Soccer, Basketball and Tennis) letter winner in High School and was recruited by smaller schools to play basketball in college but after tearing my ACL in my last HS game I decided to focus on academics and partying in college but continued to do intramurals and pick up while running and lift weights. After College I really got into triathlons for a few years but that fizzled out as it ate up weekends to travel for them. My goal is to do an Olympic again in the next few years.
6. What is your favorite wod/exercise? Hansen of course…funny thing is it really is my favorite as I love all the exercises in it
7. What is your least favorite wod/exercise? Rope climb because I am still using knots, I just can’t get the whole pinching the rope thing…yet…oh yeah, and everyone hates Pistols but we all know that.
8. What is your biggest milestone, achievement, or “A-ha” moment at CFD? I think it was in one of my first classes I was working out with, we’ll call her “Mary Oil” to protect her identity, and she was just kicking my butt. At the end I said to myself that is impressive and I need to get into that kind of shape.
9. What goal(s) are you looking to accomplish? I am just looking to feel good and look good, pretty simple really.
10. What are your hobbies and interests outside of CFD? Our three kids (McKenna, Finn and Reiss) keep us busy but as a family we love to travel, do outdoor activities, hang with family and friends and when I can I like to golf and watch sports (I am a Patriots season ticket holder so looking forward to the Super Bowl yet again)
11. What is something that we may not know about you? I grew up on a cranberry bog with a horse, goats, chickens, rabbits, pigs, sheep, dogs, cats, etc.
12. What is your favorite cheat meal? If I had to pick one would say I am a little bit too familiar than a CF Diamonder should be with the Wendy’s value menu (fries dipped in a Frosty) and also a DQ Blizzard connoisseur.
13. What is some advice or encouragement for someone just starting CFD or thinking of starting? Be your own Drago, it’s for you and no one else.